Tuesday, 26 April 2016

My Top Five Parenting Idols (on cBeebies)

There are some amazing parents out there who are ever present with their children. Who never use the television as a means of snatching a hot cup of tea here and there or entertaining their children whilst they try and get some housework done.

I am not one of those parents. I am equally-amazing-but-somewhat-slightly-lazier and this means that, sometimes, cBeebies is my very best friend. I am especially keen on this over other channels because I feel like the programmes are chosen carefully to provide something educational for my child (Alphablocks) or to teach him about moral issues (Wooly and Tig) or to inspire him to get creative (Mister Maker).

But it also inspires me because, quite frankly, there is a whole host of amazing fictional parents on cBeebies and I genuinely hope to parent as well as they do one of these days. Here are my top 5:

1. Topsy and Tim's Mum. It is blatantly obvious that she is fictional as she never mutters "ffs" under her breath whilst the twins are having an argument or gets a bit shouty when they make a mess of her living room. She is like the Stepford Mum of kids tv.

2. Flop from Bing. He's like this little knitted Saint. And he has the patience of one, especially as Bing is probably one of the most annoying characters in the whole show (which is an interesting character trait given he's the protagonist). I need Flop's patience.


3. Peter Rabbit's Mum (does she have a first name?) Not only is she a single mum of four children, two of whom are twins, but she is also a widow. Plus she lets her troubleseeker of a son out on his own without stressing too much about him being eaten by an owl/fox/badger whilst stealing radishes from an allotment. She has done well not to keep the apron strings too tight there.

4. Queen Martha (Mike the Knight's Mum). Basically the military wife of CBeebies, holding the literal fort whilst her husband is off fighting battles. She also has the added responsibility of the dragons.

5. Charlie and Lola's Mum (another nameless parent). She is always in shouting distance but mostly leaves them to get on and entertain each other unless she has to go to the dentist or something. Presumably she is sat in the kitchen with a hot coffee and a good book?! Now THAT is inspiring!

So there we are - my top five. And if anyone was wondering which fictional parent would be my least inspiring?

Probably Dilys Price from Fireman Sam which isn't on CBeebies but is still educational enough - biggest lesson learnt - don't live in PontyPandy - it's rife with fire. And most of this fire is a result of Norman Price who Dilys has;
a) raised poorly
b) left unsupervised so often I'd imagine she's on some sort of list.

So, in comparison, it seems like I'm doing a pretty good job of parenting.

 Proudly linking up with
This Mum's Life
Rhyming with Wine

11 comments:

  1. Hello again! I'm your neighbour on #passthesauce today! :) We're not quite at the Ceebeebies stage properly yet with Baby Lighty but I agree with you about Peter Rabbit's mum! All that after the trauma of her husband being put in a pie!! 😱 Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you already know that I am a huge Flop lover and I like to think that my parenting skills mirror his exactly, (they don't at all). I do however wonder how he manages to get Charlie into and out of his pushchair / stroller thing and change his nappy when he is about 1/3 of his size? Hmmm. Apparently I watch a bit too much CBeebies!? ;) Thanks for sharing with #passthesauce xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first post of yours I've seem and love it! The Cbeebies presenters are surrogate patents to my toddler.
    As far as fictional patents go, the dad/ narrator from Sarah & Duck is my fave!! His Dad jokes are the best! !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha brilliant. We aren't really having to watch kids TV yet but I've read before about the eerily smug and calm mum in Topsy and Tim! So funny. #bigpinklink

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am I the only one that finds Flop eerily emotionless? I have no idea how he managed to calmly deal with all of Bing's whining - I'd have lost the plot ages ago! #bigpinklink

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha I absolutely love this and totally agree. #bigpinklink xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. How does Topsy and Tim's mum maintain that eerily calm façade??! I find it quite bemusing! She must be on a lot of diazepam! I've never seen more than a few snatched minutes of Bing-I feel I'm missing out, I must check this one out!! Peter Rabbit's mum is also on the diazepam bandwagon too-I'm reading the books to the boys at bedtime at the moment, and she doesn't bat an eyelid at Peter's behaviour!! She just puts him to bed with a cup of camomile tea??! If he were mine he'd be at the least, grounded, and most likely chained up in his room for his own safety!! I love looking at tv shows in this way, it gives me a good chortle!! Thanks for sharing with #bigpinklink!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charlie and Lola's parents were amazing. Almost never there and the kids never trashed the place! The others I missed as the Tubblet is now too old for CBeebies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flop is on drugs. A bit like mummy pig who I swear is either dull or on valium. Don't get me started on Topsy and effing Tim... Thanks for linking to #chucklemums!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will never understand why Norman Price isn't in a remand centre for criminally insane children...#chucklemums

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flop is unnaturally patient. I agree with above, he must be taking something. Either that or he is screaming into a pillow whenever he's out of shot! Or drunk. #chucklemums

    ReplyDelete